It was first mentioned in the VII - V centuries as a proto - urban dwelling place. In the year 216 BCE, during the wars between Rome and Illyrian armies it was named Antipatrea. What is interesting today is the fact that the castle is still inhabited. There are several Byzantine churches inside the walls and also the the museum of the icons "Onufri", the famous Albanian painter of XVI century and the remains of the Red Mosque.
Situated on the eastern side of the castle, the Church of Evangelistria is diferent from most of its contemporary churches, and is distinguished for its larger proportions and for a more careful elaboration of its architectural elements. It is composed of the nave, a two story narthex and the portico. The single nave has two entrances, one on the northern side through the portico, and one on the western side, both of which lead to the narthex. The altar area is divided from the nave by a wooden iconostasis which has few original parts in its composition.
Kisha e Shën Mitrit (St. Demetrius’ Church) doesn’t look like much, but it is interesting, nevertheless. What stands today here was rebuilt on the remains of an old temple in the XVI-XVII centuries; and the murals were painted in 1607. A porch was built later around the church, on three sides. Inside, the church only has a small naos and altar. The church was entirely built of limestone and clay.
The church can be found on Rrugica Shën Triadha, not far from Xhamia e Kuqe and Kisha e Shën Mitrit.
St. Mary of Blachernae Church (Albanian: Kisha e Shën Mëri Vllahernës) is a church inside Berat Castle, in Berat, Albania, named after the famous Church of St. Mary of Blachernae, near the Palace of Blachernae in Constantinople. It dates from the 13th century and contains 16th-century murals. It became a protected cultural monument in 1948.
It is believed that a 5th or 6th century monastery existed at the place of the church. Nikolla Onufri, son of the more famous Onufri, decorated in the church in 1578 with prophets and bibles' scenes. The ground is decorated with a mosaic.