Gjirokastra Castle is mentioned for the first time as a city and a castle in 1336 CE. At that time, it was the center of the Albanian feudal family, Zenebisheve. Later, during the lordship of Gjin Bue Shpata, it was included in the Despotate of Epir. According to them, the castle underwent two construction phases, the first one during the Gjin Bue Shpata rule, and the second in the 19th century during the regime of Ali Pasha of Tepelena, who in 1812 CE occupied the fortress with a garrison of 5,000 soldiers.
The Bazaar of Gjirokastra (Pazari i Gjirokastrës) is situated on top of the castle hill, where even today the site is known as “The Old Bazaar”. The urban location of this site indicates that the bazaar belongs to the 17th century CE. According to Elvia Celebiu, from around 1771 - 1772 CE the old bazaar started gradually relocating towards the city center, where it exists today. At the end of the 19th century CE, a destructive fire destroyed the entire bazaar. After this tragedy, the bazaar was rebuilt according to contemporary architectural standards.
Tepelena Castle was built by Ali Pasha in the end of 18th century CE in the town of Tepelena. It was the second most important castle during his reign, after that in Ioanina. The construction of this monument was finished in the year 1819. It has an area of 4 - 5 hectares and is protected by three towers. The height of the walls reaches 10 meters. The eastern entrance is called “Porta e Vezirit,” upon which is an inscription.
Hadrianopolis is located in the Drino River Valley near Gjirokastra. This city was known as Adrianopolis in Roman times and the site features a theater which could accommodate approximately 4,000 spectators. It was excavated in 1984.
The Fortified Settlement of Karos is located near the village of Qeparo, along the Qeparo River. The location was clearly chosen for its natural defenses, as the fortress is situated atop a hill. Approachers from virtually any direction would face a difficult climb up a rocky slope. The original defensive walls apparently had only one entrance. The present state of the walls is a mere shadow of what it used to be, but it still extends for 350 m and is approximately 3 m thick. It varies in height, but reaches a maximum of 1.5 m in its ruined state.
The Monastery of Saint Nicolas in Mesopotam is a beautiful monument located in the village of Mesopotam, not far from the touristic city of Saranda. It is quite accessible thanks to its location on the national road linking Saranda with Gjirokastra. It is a Byzantine church, reconstructed twice in the years 1793 and 1843 CE. The main characteristic of the monastery is its distinctive defense features. The fortified wall surrounding the monastery includes rectangular towers. It attracts numerous visitors, as it is near the National Park of Butrint.
Porto Palermo Castle, is located in the Vlora region, in the coast of Himara. This caste is built in a small tectonic bay , by Ali Pasha Tepelena in the late 18th century CE. It has a rectangular shape with four bastions in its corners. Along the terrace’s parapet is a positioned loophole for canons. The inner space is made of halls, stores and other areas. Stone stairs leading to the terrace are located in the central part. Walls protect the entire area with gun loopholes at the front and at the side.