The art of photography in Albania begins about the middle of the 19-th century, with a first studio opened in 1858 by Pjeter Marubi in Shkodra-at that time one of the most important cities of Albania.
Pjeter Marubi (1834-1903) was a real master of photography. Unlike many other studios, which were set up later in Albania, Marubi’s studio was a laboratory of artistic photography from its initial steps.
Studio Marubi worked not only for the personal needs of the citizens and their families.From the 70’s of the last century Marubi became photo reporter of the magazine Illustrazione Italian, for the Shkodra vilayet. Pictures of an ethnographic, historical or geographical interest bearing the signature of Studio Marubi illustrated scores of works by foreign authors on Albania, or were published as postcards.
In 1970 Gege Marubi donated the phototeque of his Studio-with about 500,000 negatives, to the Albanian people.It is today an important archive-scientific centre.Its photographs constitute a rare wealth for the historians, ethnographers, architects, town-planners, artists and so on.