Submitted by admin on Wed, 07/10/2013 - 18:06
The monastery of St. John the Forerunner is founded in 14th c. by some monks coming from Boboshtitca. Later on, during the flourishing period of Voskopoja in the 17th and 18th centuries, the monastery of St. John the Forerunner became one of the most powerful economical and ecclesiastical supports of the Ohrid Archbishopric. The church of this monastery is built in 1632, on the ruins of an earlier church. The building belongs to the Athonite type (three conchs), cross-in-square plan with a dome supported on a high drum. The interior was decorated with paintings in 1659. The nartheks of the church was built and painted later, perhaps by the end of 17th c., or the begining of 18th c. The buildings around the church, or the cells of the monastery, were heavily damaged by Nazi's bombs during the World War II.