Gjirokastra Castle is mentioned for the first time as a city and a castle in 1336 CE. At that time, it was the center of the Albanian feudal family, Zenebisheve. Later, during the lordship of Gjin Bue Shpata, it was included in the Despotate of Epir. According to them, the castle underwent two construction phases, the first one during the Gjin Bue Shpata rule, and the second in the 19th century during the regime of Ali Pasha of Tepelena, who in 1812 CE occupied the fortress with a garrison of 5,000 soldiers.
Tepelena Castle was built by Ali Pasha in the end of 18th century CE in the town of Tepelena. It was the second most important castle during his reign, after that in Ioanina. The construction of this monument was finished in the year 1819. It has an area of 4 - 5 hectares and is protected by three towers. The height of the walls reaches 10 meters. The eastern entrance is called “Porta e Vezirit,” upon which is an inscription.
The Monastery of Ardenica is located close to the village of Kolonja. It is a Byzantine structure occupying a surface area of about 2,500 m². This monument consists of the Saint Mary Church, the Saint Triad chapel, the konake, the oil mill, the oven and the stall. In the center is situated the Church of St. Mary, partly built with pumice stones brought from Apollonia. It occupies a large area, covered by a wooden roof and a flat ceiling. The church is composed of a naos, a narthex and a two-story exonarex, which at the one end connects with the 24 meter tall bell tower.
The Monumental Tombs of “Selca e Poshtëme” (Lower Selca) are 2,400 years old, located 40 km from the modern city of Pogradec. Selca was a town founded by the Illyrian tribe of Desartes in the 6th century BCE. It is thought that Pelion was the residence of the Illyrian king, Klit, located in Selca. The settlement reached its greatest prominence in the 3rd - 4th centuries BCE, when its protective surrounding walls encircled an area of 3 hectares. Five monumental tombs in Ionic style have been excavated from this archaeological site. Four of the carved tombs are located inside the tunnels.
The Tumuli Burials of Kamenicaare located in the southern part of Korça, along the national road linking Korça with Erseka. This is one of the most important monuments, representative of Albanian prehistory. Visiting the site, you will have the chance to be acquainted with prehistoric community life from the 13th - 6th centuries BCE.
The Monastery of Saint John Vladimir (Shën Gjon Vladimiri) in Shijon is located only 4 km away from Elbasan. It was built in 1381 CE by the Albanian prince, Karl Topia, who brought the remains of Saint John Vladimir. Saint John Vladimir was the Duke of Krajina (Montenegro). He was declared a Saint and is well known in the Balkan Peninsula. A large pilgrimage was organized in his honor at this monastery until 1967 CE, when the communist regime forcibly closed religious institutions all over the country. Nowadays this pilgrimage is organized every 3-4 June.