Iljaz Mirahori’s Mosquewas built in 1484. This mosque is the most ancient monument in the city, and stands out for its historical, cultural, religious and architectural values. It is situated south-west of the Fan Noli Boulvard. A number of paintings of the Mecca and Medina are hung on the walls. The minaret was damaged in an earthquake reported in the 18th century but has recently been characteristically rebuilt.
Korça's Orthodox Cathedral of the Resurrection was completely rebuilt in 1992 after the previous church on this site, St. George cathedral, was destroyed by the Communist authorities in 1968. Now the impressive pink building is the largest church in Albania, and the second largest in the Balkans. Inside, the modest white interior is is dominated by a huge carved wooden iconostasis. Also note the Albanian eagles carved into the chairs.
The Bektashi Way is a mystical path whose goal is to perfect man’s soul. It is the path which guides the believer and brings him to his ultimate goal: closeness to God. As a doctrine originating from Islamic principles, Bektashism has its own interpretation of the Holy Qur’an and the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad and the Twelve Holy Imams. Bektashism respects all monotheist faiths. The late Baba Rexheb presented clearly the fundaments of Bektashi doctrine and history in his well-known book The Mysticism of Islam and Bektashism (Detroit, 1970).
This castle is located 6 kilometers from the Middle Bridge over Kir River. The actual village is found under the antique Drivatum. It was built during the Roman period as a shelter place for the road Shkodër - Kosovo. This castle is located 6 kilometers from the Middle Bridge over Kir River. The actual village is found under the antique Drivatum. It was built during the Roman period as a shelter place for the road Shkodër - Kosovo. This castle served as one of the fortresses that defended Shkodra. The castle is located at the top of an 800 meters high hill.
Tirana's oldest surviving Catholic Church is the Roman-style Jesuit church, built by Giovanni Santi (from Udine in Italy) in 1939. In 1967, when all the religious activity in Albania was banned, it was stripped of its frescoes and turned into a cinema. It reopened as a church in 1991, with two chapels repainted in 1999. Visitors are welcomed in the morning and afternoon.
Situated on the eastern side of the castle, the Church of Evangelistria is diferent from most of its contemporary churches, and is distinguished for its larger proportions and for a more careful elaboration of its architectural elements. It is composed of the nave, a two story narthex and the portico. The single nave has two entrances, one on the northern side through the portico, and one on the western side, both of which lead to the narthex. The altar area is divided from the nave by a wooden iconostasis which has few original parts in its composition.