Submitted by edisabecolli on Fri, 09/26/2014 - 11:06
Dear friends, for many years the 27ᵀᴴ September is marked as the World Tourism Day and for this year it will be celebrated under the theme "Tourism and Community Development". With a particular focus on community, WTD 2014 states that tourism can be conducive to the advancement of sustainable development from the people or society at a local level.
NTA chose to conduct this activity in Gjinar, which is a mountainous village designated as one of the most beautiful tourist areas of Elbasan.
The Church of Saint Nicolas in Shelcan (Kisha e Shën Nikollës) is located in the village of Shelcan in the district of Shpati, southeast of Elbasan. Inside the church there are valuable frescoes painted by Onufri, a famous Albanian painter from the 16th century CE.
Roman Road Station of Ad Quintium is located close to Bradashesh village, in the vicinity of the modern city of Elbasan. Based on the construction techniques used, the site has been dated back to the 2nd - 4th centuries CE. Excavations are ongoing.
The Monastery of Saint John Vladimir (Shën Gjon Vladimiri) in Shijon is located only 4 km away from Elbasan. It was built in 1381 CE by the Albanian prince, Karl Topia, who brought the remains of Saint John Vladimir. Saint John Vladimir was the Duke of Krajina (Montenegro). He was declared a Saint and is well known in the Balkan Peninsula. A large pilgrimage was organized in his honor at this monastery until 1967 CE, when the communist regime forcibly closed religious institutions all over the country. Nowadays this pilgrimage is organized every 3-4 June.